Saturday, March 4, 2017

Post #2 When and where

Sadly the interview with my father couldn't happen face to face. So, I called my father at around 5 pm on March 4th, 2017. He had recently returned to his hotel room, he is at a show for the Horners Guild, and i asked him a few questions he was happy to answer.

My father, William Frankfort or Wild Willy if you were friends with him, was born in Waukegan Illinois, which I didn’t know, but shortly after he was born he and my grandmother and grandfather moved to Pittsburgh PA. Being born in Waukegan really didn’t really change my father view of the world because he was just a baby when he left and his mother and father, may grandparents moved to Pennsylvania. His only view of the world was from Pennsylvania and where he grew up, he played in the woods growing up and that what it was like to him. They didn’t have the money for vacations or anything like that so he never really left. He said meeting people from other places, like Ohio, was his only view into the work and from what he knew it wasn’t all that different. My dad grew up, first, in middle class American culture. Then as he grew up him and his family, I believe just consisting of his mother and two sister, dropped down into lower class American culture. My grandfather at the time was deployed as a marine. He told me that he had a few shirts, three pairs, and a pair of shoes and that’s all he had until he went into high school. How the culture that my father was brought up in changed his view by teaching him to appreciate things more because of how he dropped in social class and how little he had. That’s something important that he has passed on to my brother and I, though sometimes we don’t always follow it.
                                                                                                       This is him...with a few less wrinkles

No comments:

Post a Comment